While warm weather may seem a long way off, it’s never too early to dream about your coastal Maine vacation, including a stay at historic Pilgrim’s Inn on Deer Isle, offering the very best of food and Maine coastal lodging.
While summer is undoubtedly beautiful on the coast of Maine, we
think the best times to visit are the shoulder seasons in the spring and fall. Your experience
in the off-season will be more relaxed, with more opportunities to meet
and learn from the people who live life off the beaten path. Our early
season at Pilgrim’s Inn is May 15 – June 25th and is one of the best
times to visit Deer Isle. The weather is fine and the crowds of
tourists have not yet arrived. You’ll also find the very best rates of
our entire season during this time period with numerous special offers
on top of our already low spring rates.
Deer Isle is a magical place where
balsam scented forests give way to beautiful views of the rocky coast
and everyday life is simple and relaxed. Spend your day soaking in the sun as you picnic on the warm rocks of a secluded beach, or sail on a schooner in the clear blue waters of Penobscot Bay in the Gulf of Maine. Take a ferry ride to Isle au Haut, a secluded part of Acadia National Park, and spend the day biking or hiking this scenic gem; or kayak the waters of the Stonington Archipelago, long considered some of the best kayaking on the Atlantic seaboard.
Explore the inlets, tidal pools, forests and villages of the island archipelago and peninsula that inspired authors, photographers, painters, musicians, and architects like Robert McCloskey, E.B. White, Elliot and Fairfield Porter, Dan Fogelberg, and Buckminster Fuller. Or spend a day visiting our numerous art galleries and studios where fine art and beautiful crafts express the creativity of our island community, and offer the chance to take a unique treasure home with you.
Take a trip on Maine lobster boat, pull lobster traps from the ocean floor and learn about a unique way of life, sustained by the bounty of our local waters.
After your day of adventure come home to our relaxing and beautiful bed and breakfast accommodations at Pilgrim’s Inn. Our rooms are all unique and feature comfortable beds and fine quality amenities. Our restaurant, the Whale’s Rib Tavern, offers the very best of American cuisine featuring local seafood, and fresh farm produce from our area organic farms. You will of course find our world famous lobster on the menu, plus an excellent selection of wines, a full bar and Maine micro-brews to pair with your meal. Our cozy bar is a wonderful place to relax with a beverage or eat a meal in a more casual environment. Chances are you’ll strike up a conversation with a local fisherman, artist or one of the many well known authors who frequent our pub.
Our Fall season starts right after Labor Day, on Tuesday, September 8th, when the seasonal rates will be reduced from our busy season and periodic specials will be posted weekly. As you may know, the Fall is when New England is at its very best. Warm days and cool nights characterize this time of year, but it is the colors that really make this season special. Not only the obvious and beautiful colors of the changing leaves, but there is something about the light that takes on a mystical quality, highlighting the warm sienna’s, cranberry reds and vivid blues.
- Our first weekend of the season celebrates the spring bird migration with our annual island
event, “Wings, Waves & Woods” This special weekend offers opportunities to view the migration on boats and guided walks with national birding experts. The event also celebrates nature with gallery openings and special workshops. When you participate in this special event you’ll receive 15% off your room rate.
- If you are able to travel mid-week, then take advantage of our “stay two nights get your third night free” special. If one of your three nights includes a Tuesday, anytime from May 15 – June 25, 2015 then you will receive a free night at the Inn! This special re-appears for our Fall season starting September 21st.
- Take advantage of our half price rates and help a worthy cause when you use our “Hospitality for Habitat” special from May 15 – May 21st. During this time period all of our rooms are available at half their posted rate in exchange for a $35 check to Habitat for Humanity. This annual special event is part of a state wide program sponsored by the Maine Innkeepers Association.
- If you love lighthouses, then stay at Pilgrim’s Inn the weekend of September 12th for Maine’s Open Lighthouse Day and receive 15% off your room rate. You’ll have a chance to visit lighthouses in our area that are normally not open to the public. You’ll receive a special stamp in your lighthouse “passport” for every lighthouse you visit.
- And finally, if you are a resident of Maine then we have a special discount just for you. You’ll receive 20% off your room rate between May 15 and June 14, and again starting September 21st.